The department was started in 2009 under the Dibrugarh University Institute of Engineering & Technology, a constituent institute of Dibrugarh University, Assam for offering B.Tech degree with an annual intake of 72 students. The Department also offered M.Tech Programme in Fluid, Thermal & Energy in the year 2013. Both the B.Tech and M. Tech programmes are approved by AICTE.
Vision of the Department: The Mechanical Engineering department endeavours to be recognised as one of the premier engineering departments at the national level by attracting the brightest minds of the nation through its continual pursuits for excellence in education and cutting edge research.
Mission of the Department: The mission of Mechanical Engineering department is to create best in class engineering graduates as per the needs of the corporate world along with the development of scientific temper for higher studies. The department is committed for the incorporation of effective teaching and learning methods, up gradation of knowledge and skills of faculties, initiation of state of the art research and promotion of relationship with industry to keep pace with changing world.
Programme outcomes of the B.Tech course: The B.tech programme in Mechanical Engineering enables the graduate students to attain the following outcomes/objectives:
- Application of technology to solve various problems in the field of Mechanical Engineering and other interdisciplinary areas.
- Creating graduated who are competent for serving in Industries.
- Inculcating graduates for pursuing higher education & cutting edge research.
- Instilling confidence and enable better communication skills.
- Effective use of various engineering related software packages and tools.
- Imbibing professional ethics.
- Addressing the technical needs and concerns of the society at large.
Thrust Areas:The Department is engaged in research in the following fields
- Alternative fuel
- Renewable energy
- Fuel cells
- Modern Engineering materials
- Heat Transfer
- Optimization techniques