Training and Placement Policy
Training & Placement activities are considered an integral process at the Dibrugarh University since the year 2008. This Cell is consistently engaged in providing training and placement support to the students of the University. The cell is equipped with separate office space, computing facility and well-furnished separate interview room and conference hall etc. to cater to the need of the various departments of the University related to training and placement activities. The cell endeavours to provide placement assistance to the final semester students who are pursuing different programmes of studies in the University. It also facilitates summer and winter internship, skill development training, specialised lectures, career counselling programs etc. for the benefit of the students. The cell also strives to promote strong network with corporate organizations and other external agencies for maximising opportunities for the students of the University. The cell consistently endeavours on continuous learning by enhancing professional competencies of the students by way of providing enhanced coaching on personality development programs.
The Cell has strived to make the students of the University employable and find meaningful opportunities in their respective disciplines. Special emphasis is being given to enhance the soft skills of the students along with their hard skills. The University has also signed several MOUs with PSU corporate entities like BCPL (Brahmaputra Cracker and Polymers Ltd.) and NRL (Numaligarh Refinery Ltd.) for providing live industrial exposures to the students from different disciplines. The students are also assisted to find placement opportunities across multiple verticals. Apart from the association with the industrial enterprises, the cell has also forged strong kinship with the non profit organizations like Azim Premji Foundation, Gandhi Fellowship Program, UNICEF etc. for opening significant opportunities in the evolving social sectors too.
Thus the core thrust areas of the cell encompasses the following:
- To organize on/off campus recruitment.
- To obtain slots for Summer & Winter internship and organize industrial visits.
- To forge strong alliance between the University and industrial enterprises for maximising opportunities for the students.
- To increase the employability of the students by imparting skill based training programs.
1.1 Dibrugarh University Campus Placement Policy
In order to streamline the placement procedure and afford equal, just and fair opportunity to all categories of students (High / Average / Poor), the following guidelines shall be observed:
- Students appearing for final semester examination will be considered by the placement cell, only through the individual registration in the ‘placement database’.
- Final semester students, who cleared all the earlier courses (i.e. both in-sem & end –sem exam) of the concerned programme will only be allowed to participate in the placement activities (on /off campus).
- Once a student is confirmed by a company as selected, he / she will not be allowed to participate in any further placement activity of equivalent company.
- B. Tech students, if selected by a company other than their core competency company, will be allowed a second chance for participating in campus placement by a core company. For example, if a B. Tech (Mech) student gets selected by an IT company (say Infosys, TCS), he will be allowed a second chance whenever a Mechanical company (say JBM or Shriram Pistons) conducts a placement event.
- To be fair to the students already selected, a second chance will be afforded to participate in the selection process of all those companies which offer a package of minimum of Rs. One Lac (p.a.) more than the package offered by the company they have been earlier selected. This is applicable for the routine recruitment drives.
- All students who get selected on their own effort, if desirous, will be afforded opportunity to participate in all campus placement events till finally selected, irrespective of package differential.
- A student, who confirms participation in a placement event (on/off campus) and thereafter absents himself without valid reasons, will not be allowed to participate in the next placement event (one time debarring). This is to discourage absenteeism, which causes embarrassment to the Faculties and T&P Cell of the University. This penalty may be waived off at the sole discretion of the concerned authority of the University based on the merit of a case.
- All students will be permitted to appear for the recruitment and selection process as and when the ‘Dream Company’ (PSUs, Navaratna companies etc.) organizes a recruitment drive, even if they have been selected earlier by a different company.
- MBA students, with dual specialization, have to specify their preference in advance. While registering, the sequence of specialization entered in the registration form will be considered to be the order of preference. If a student gets selected during campus placement in the non- preferred specialization, he/she would not be allowed to appear for further campus recruitment drives till selected in the preferred field, irrespective of salary differential. However, this facility can only be availed by those students, who are yet to join a company. Once a student has joined a company, even in the non-preferred profile, he/she can switch to preferred specialization, if deemed necessary, on his/her own and not through campus placement.