A museum named after Late Malbhog Baruah- the proprietor of Rajabheta Tea Estate, Dibrugarh, was inaugurated on May 26, 2018 at Dibrugarh University by eminent litterateur Professor Nagen Saikia at a solemn function.
The building was constructed by the family of Malbhog Baruah in 1889 which was acquired by Dibrugarh University in 1966 to establish its campus. The building was the official residence and the office of the Vice Chancellor of the University and later housed the office of the Registry, the Inspector of colleges and the Distance Education centre of the University at various points in time.
Over the years the building remained abandoned and was in a state of dilapidation. The University authority has recently transformed the old building after renovation into a Museum, aptly dedicated to the memory of late Malbhog Baruah as the 'Malbhog Baruah Sangrahalay'.
Malbhog Baruah had put in remarkable vision and hard work in establishing the Rajabheta Tea Estate and a few more estates later in great competition with the British. A good number of members of the civil society of Dibrugarh, members of the family of Malbhog Baruah, teachers and officers of Dibrugarh University attended the inaugural function. Professor Nagen Saikia applauded the initiative of the University in preserving the heritage building of the University in a befitting manner. In his brief address, Professor Alak K Buragohain paid rich tribute to late Malbhog Baruah and mentioned the importance of museum as a powerful tool of education.
Ms Jinti Aggarwal Baruah- a member of the illustrious Baruah family addressed the gathering with reminiscences of her great grandfather and profusely thanked the initiative of the University.